Boswellia is one of the many amazing Ayurvedic herbs our clinic likes to use for dogs and cats! What is boswellia? It is formally known as Boswellia serrata or Indian frankincense and has been used in India for centuries as an anti-inflammatory for both people and animals.It is the gummy extract of the plant that is used for treatment. It works by shrinking the inflamed tissue, thereby improving blood supply to the affected areas of the body and enhancing the repair of damaged blood vessels. It's active components are alpha, beta, and 11-keto-beta boswellic acid and acetyl derivatives. It also has xylose, terpinoles, arabinose, galactose, essential oils, uranic acid, and beta sitisterin.
Why is it great for pets? Here are five reasons.
- It is great for osteoarthritis since it reduces inflammation of the joints.
- It is also beneficial for treating some digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and other forms of gastric irritation.
- It can be used to help with many skin issues.
- It does not negatively affect your pet's digestive tract, unlike many other forms of anti-inflammation drugs.
- It also does not negatively affect the heart rate or blood pressure and is a safe form of Ayurvedic herbal therapy.
If your dog or cat is having issues with joint pain, stomach issues, etc., make an appointment with your vet so they can determine if boswellia will be beneficial for them!