Ashwagandha is one of our favorite Ayurvedic herbal remedies for cats and dogs and other pets. We use it extensively for the many benefits it provides in maintaining pets’ health and well-being.
Why is Ashwagandha so great for pets?
Ashwagandha has been used since ancient times to promote health and longevity. Its active principles (alkaloids and withanoloides) are similar to those of ginseng. Like ginseng, ashwagandha is revered for its anti-aging properties.
- It is used to enhance the immune system and treat anemia, inflammation, bacterial infection, and diarrhea.
- It is also thought to improve the quality of bodily tissues.
- Clinical research shows that ashwagandha helps relieve general aches and pains.
- Ashwagandha is an excellent hematinic and contains high levels of iron and free amino acids such as glycine, valine, tyrosine, proline, and alanine.
- Research shows that ashwagandha has anti-inflammatory, diuretic, sedative, antibacterial, and anti-fungal activity.
- It also has anti-tumorigenic uses in animals.
- Most importantly, ashwagandha has also been shown to be safe for long-term use for your pet.